Thread: Gymkhana
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #1508
Motogymkhanaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Dropping your bike during your first forays into Moto Gymkhana - fact or fiction?

Quite often when we do Moto Gymkhana displays at shows and exhibitions a lot of riders tell us that "I won't do that because I don't want to drop my bike". On the face of it appears to be a quite sensible reaction considering the activity that's going on in the arena, but when you begin to analyse the statement it soon becomes clear what these riders are actually telling you.

When we watch a half decent rider doing their thing out on course we see that they get some serious lean angles even though they're not going very fast, they have visible movement in the steering and they are making heavy use of the throttle and brakes. Most riders however would have never got their bikes anywhere near these control inputs out on the road, let alone in a car park so there is a disonance between what they see and what they 'know' they can do.

A lot of riders can accept this disonant state as being an indication that they will have much to learn and it will take a lot of time and effort before they will be able to do what they see others being able to do. For other riders all they see in this disonant state is that if the activity is even attempted there is bound to come a time when they will be forced outside of their comfort zone. They like staying in their comfort zone because they 'know' that they are not going to crash if they stay well within it and any activity that looks like it will take them outside of that zone will automatically be assumed to lead to a crash. This is the reason why this type of rider will say "I won't do that because I don't want to drop my bike", not because he will drop the bike but because he thinks he will drop the bike.

As it turns out most riders manage to stay on their bikes quite easily the first few times they attempt a Moto Gymkhana course and they only start to fall when they really start to push at the edges of the envelope. As this envelope pushing only happens when the riders are almost completely hooked on the sport, they see crashing as just being no more than an occupational hazard.