View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #28
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby1 View Post
Help me out here I tried yesterday and failed to wheelie my Wee Strom. It's got crash bars - skid plate - hand guards and didn't cost too much so my only concern is my health because at middle age stuff doesn't heal up like it used to.

Having found a mostly hidden slab where a big box store was torn down by my house, I was practicing the skills Off Road Fanatic has on U-tube.

Figure 8's -then one handed figure 8's -then standing figure 8's - mostly failed at standing 1 handed standing figure 8's - didnt even try knees on the seat or side saddle stuff.
Emergency stops all good - lock up back tire -squeeze front hard while leaning back.

Could not get the Wee to do a roll on throttle wheelie - takes off fast but no wheelie even dumping clutch and wide open throttle in first gear.

Tried rolling start - shift to second pull in clutch - rev and drop clutch - front jumped but just compresseed back suspension still no wheelie.
On 4th try chain made a bad sound so I went home.

Am I not leaning back enough ? Not pulling up on the bars ? not reving it enough ? not dumping the clutch hard enough ?

Help me out here I can't afford a Ducati because apparently that's what they we built for as anybody on one pulls a wheelie ever few miles around here.
I don't have a wee, but I find it hard to believe it couldn't wheelie WITHOUT dropping the clutch. My f650 certainly could. At the mid-to-top of 2nd gear, give it a bit of front brake til the nose compresses and you get back down into the powerband rev wise, you let off the front brake the forks will push the nose up and you just roll on the power.

You may have to shift your weight back and give it a tug but I wouldn't recommend that til you know how to predict what the bike will do.

It's far easier to learn on long straight steep uphill grades too.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote