View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
der-Seppel OP
der-Seppel's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 384
Departing and Arriving

Departing and Arriving

The 9th of October was the official beginning of my journey. My bike had already gone onto the journey without me 10 day upfront. The bike had gone by truck to Hamburg and the by plane via Dubai to Perth. The transport of the motorcycle was*settled by*the company*InTime from Hamburg.
On my starting day I went by train to Hamburg. On the ride a little chat with New Zealand couple came up because they needed help with the S-Bahn trains in Hamburg. Resulting from the chat I got handed a business card of their son and i was told to call him as soon as I had arrived on Australia's east coast because he might have a job for me or know somebody - great! Arriving in Hamburg, I was first taken to delicious kebab by my sister Steffi and her husband Markus and later they drove me to the airport.

Hamburg airport just before*

The first flight I mainly spent eating and watching movies.
Arrived in Dubai I had 3 hours to explore Terminal 3, which was pretty boring. Luckily there was a free WiFi so I could surf the net a little. The second flight consisted of more food, more movies and a small night's sleep.
When I finally arrived in Perth I got all my bags pretty quickly although now due to a small duty free shopping in Dubai my luggage consisted*of three checked baggage. Despite an extra questioning by customs and quarantine inspection of my luggage through a Beagle I had already left the airport 30 minutes after landing. In the arrivals area, John and Gael lovely welcomed me. John(Inmate JayBo1) had offered me at Advrider that I could stay at their house for the first days. What a great offer, right? After a light dinner, i could go to bed without any jet lag in normal times and I slept through the whole night.

Just before boarding

On Friday my daily plan was to free my bike out of the Emirates warehouse. I was*feared this could take several days to complete because the bike has to be released by customs first, then you have to book an appointment with the AQIS quarantine authorities and in the end you finally get the motorcycle examined at warehouse by an inspector.
So Gael drove me back to the airport with a short stop at the ATM. Since I slept late and the streets were quite full we arrived at 10:40 am at the Emirates warehouse. In there I was handed the documents needed just after a few minutes and I given directions to the customs building. Fortunately, the customs is in sight and only about 300 meters away.
My stamped carnet was handed back to me within minutes and I got the*instruction I*should now go to the AQIS.I had*already*spotted the AQIS building on my way to customs because it was just halfway. At the AQIS it took me longer to wait for a free agent than the actual recording of my request. After paying a processing fee I was told to take a seat next to a phone so another agent could call me for an appointment .The phone rang and I was asked if I wanted an appointment immediately - not bad.

AQIS office

So I went quickly back to warehouse and just waited on the inspection lady.
When my box was then moved to us by forklift it was just a big relief my D.I.Y. crate had not*collapse*nor has it been damaged in any way. The quarantine inspection itself was just to easy. I cut the foil at the top of box so that*

Looks good :)

the inspection lady *could have an unobstructed view on my bike. She checked the VIN with the papers and felt under the fender if there was any dirt, that was it.*
The time everything took until I got the crate delivered to the yard of the warehouse was less then two hours.*

My workplace

The forklift driver I still got me the hint when I wanted to dispose my garbage in their container, it would cost money, so I should just do it when no one was watching me :)

Without foil

So I quickly cut the whole foil off to stuff it into the container, but then another warehouse worker came by to help me. To get it done quicker and no one can see you doing it, he said. It then took a really long time to unscrew the frame of crate apart because otherwise it did not fit into the container. The removed front wheel could quite easily be reinstalled with the help of a forklift. It raised the whole motorcycle so I could just put the wheel into the right*position. By the time I finished the front wheel, it started to rain: (

Work goes on

So first I*sought*shelter to wait until the rain stops. Unfortunately, the rain did not like me, so I had to get the bike under the roof as well.
When I had everything loaded onto the bike I remembered my friends told me I should always take pictures with my mascot - so here's one.

First motorcycle wash from above

Meanwhile, it was almost 4 pm and my first Australian roads led me to a gas station to fill up the tank and buy an Australian SIM card. Actually, I would now want to go directly to a*licensing center*but unfortunately it was already too late. So I rode my bike illegally without insurance or a license back to Gael and John. The*licensing*of the motorcycle had to wait until Monday.


At the weekend I took it easy all the time. Saturday, there was first a few tweaks to the bike, I visited a settlement with model homes with Gael and in the afternoon I tried driving a tractor for the first time - is not that hard :)
Sunday continued like that, I went*grocery shopping*with Gael. The rest of the day I spend time with John in his garage or chasing the dog in the garden.

My first ride

Greetings from down under.
Exploring Australia Ride Report

Where am I ? Exploring Australia
der-Seppel is offline   Reply With Quote