View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #255
DRRambler OP
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Day 60 Fleece and Surf

Day 60 October 22 Cuilapa to El Tunco

View Larger Map

The rocks, trees, and power poles along the road are painted the colors of political parties. If you thought we have a problem with election signs in Canada this takes it to another level.

I got going early today so I could get to the El Salvador border early and beat the crowds. The border was a short 60km ride so I didnít mount my GPS thinking it was just a straight shot to the east. I started worrying however when 60, then 70km passed and no frontier in sight. So I installed the GPS and discovered I was way off track. I had gone 30 km he wrong way so I turned around and got back to proper route. Arriving at the border I changed Quetzales to US dollars. I decided to agree to let helpers assist me through since I was still uneasy about the process. It was confusing as they moved fast and did not explain what was happening. The experience left me without any new knowledge about how to cross the border without help. As a result of my ignorance I think I paid too many ďfeesĒ. To top it all off I later realized the money changers got $80 more from me than they should have. It was an expensive experience and left me feeling horrible for allowing it to happen especially because I donít get flustered easily. Itís all part of the adventure.

The Guatemalan border building

The bridge before El Salvador

There are some great border crossing write ups available so I wonít detail any here but here are a few things to remember. At El Salvador immigration they do not stamp your passport but they do make a record of you entering in the computer. At least they are supposed to. Make sure they do or when you try to leave there will be problems as I later found out. (remember this report is delayed and I have already departed El Salvador in real time)

A common sight along the highway, corn drying

After getting fleeced the trip from border to El Tunco was wonderful, a nice end to a stressful day.

The ocean again, yeah!!

Cool tunnels

I found The Tortuga Surf Lodge hostal near the beach for $35 but didnít care about the price, I just wanted to stop for the day.

In the hostal I met some Canadians and Americans who came here for the surfing. After a beautiful sunset I went for supper with them and learned how to play the card game euchre.

DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote