Thread: Night riding?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #12
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
I'd like to know (from those of you who do it a lot) what your suggestions might be re: how to survive this situation? I have many years of riding under my belt; but as I write this, I realize that very few of them were riding at night.
Put some pieces of red SOLAS tape on your helmet, one 2" diamond on the rear, perhaps 1" diamonds on the right and left rear/side. It's the highest point on the bike when you are on it. Also add some SOLAS tape or reflective stickers to your bike, or panniers. Mammals are hardwired to pay attention to things that are wide (indicates danger), so any reflective pattern you can establish that sets up a triangle helps trigger a cager's attention, even if it is unconsciously. Ever pull behind the rider in the black leather jacket at night, with only the rear taillight glowing? Not so attention gettting. . ..

Reflective panels on your gear helps, too. If you have a top case, pull off the rear lens, discard that useless piece of white backer, and replace with white SOLAS -- reinstall the red lens -- it will positively glow when illuminated.

For the bike, I added HID lighting, as well as auxillary lighting -- Clearwater Kristas. The Kristas turn night into day, but volume control makes it easy not to bother oncoming drivers when full volume isn't needed. They also establish that triangle pattern I mentioned above, giving me (I hope) a slightly better chance of catching the attention of potential oncoming left turners.

Ride safe.

NoVa Rider screwed with this post 10-25-2013 at 08:10 AM
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote