View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #24
visualizerent OP
Raconteur

Oddometer: 189
Mines of Jarbidge

Jarbidge was late to the Gold Rush, mining did not get going 'till after the turn of the century. But as other areas played out the Jarbidge area grew to over 100 mines,
most were poor performers, but a few big corporate mills like the 'Bluster' did well. A total about $10 million in gold was produced from the entire district (1930's prices).

MISSION CROSS MILL (Copper Basin)

BACKYARD AUDIT DOWNTOWN JARBIDGE "They had dreams too"
By the turn of the century the successful mines were the big companies, wages were poor. We met the elderly grandaughter of this property,
site of the original Jarbidge Hotel for the miners. Her Grandpa worked all day in the mines then came home and started digging in his backyard,

"They had dreams too" she said. After he died (black lung) His wife opened the Hotel. The property is still in the family.

BLUSTER MILL?
Take the road above the Pine creek campground for a great mine tour, lotsa old mines along this route, all within 1/4-1/2 mile of each other.

Since they're only 100 years old, and rather remote, there is still lots to see.
Mines along route-The Pavlak, Success, Bluster, and Rex.

There's also a trailhead up here to the top of Jarbidge Peak and the rest of the peaks.

JARBIDGE PEAK
Great scenery along the way to the mines.

LOOKING BACK DOWN JARBIDGE CANYON/PINE CREEK CAMPGROUND

BLUSTER MINE
You can walk in a few feet, then it's blocked by a steel grate that you can see through.

HEADFRAME BLUSTER MINE
Runs Ore and materiels from the audit (above) down to Mill below.

THE REX MINE-END OF THE ROAD 8200'

I have more of the mines on video I'll post soon. There's a neat old log cabin here too.

Here's a video version of the Jarbidge Gold Mines Tour.

visualizerent screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 08:09 AM
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote