View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #63
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by beendog View Post
please read edit below:

Sorry, I meant as in a corner with respect to the tire only. Of course there was a classroom module that explained the throttle was a suspension/weight control more than a go/stop control.

But the focus wasn't on how does the weight transfer influence traction at the tire. Moreso how can we manipulate the weight to keep the suspension in a sweet spot that maximizes traction as a function of the entire machine.

Edit:

Sorry I was posting from my phone so I didn't get to expound.

When I say in a corner with respect to the tire only, I'm referring to that line in Lee Parks' book that states the additional traction gained from the added weight is less than the increased cornering force on the tire. Now. I am not sure that is exactly what it says because I don't have my book with me, I let a friend borrow it. But I am not sure that is the case. What the book MAY say is "the increased weight while leaned over is not enough to provide traction for both cornering AND the braking forces". And if that is the case, then that statement doesn't apply to coasting, since the weight is added to the front, but you aren't braking, so there is no added braking force.

Now quite possibly, that by coasting, you are removing the front suspension from the "sweet spot", and therefore if you were to hit a bump, you are more likely to now crash than you would have been if you were on the throttle. That is basically what the class teaches, is to keep the bike as upright as possible, and keep the suspension in the most favorable spot, to maximize traction in a corner.

However, on a slippery surface, where the CoF is lower than normal, and presuming that simply adding weight does not decrease cornering traction(but removing suspension range does). Would we rather have no torque at the rear tire to conserve traction back there, but possibly have the front suspension a little more compressed? And how much does the suspension compress on the front by coasting? Consider that you have wind resistance pushing the bike backwards, so it isn't like the weight distribution is the same as if you are just sitting there stationary, the wind resistance is taking weight off the front tire as well since your body and the upper part of the bike is acting as a sail. At least over say 40mph.

So to maximize traction on a less than perfect surface, under 45mph we should be on the throttle, and over 45mph we should coast?
I believe people FAR more knowledgable than I am suggest even if you go into a turn a little hot, always always be slightly on the throttle, as it helps the bike corner. Never, ever, ever coast through a turn. I believe a number of factors are at work there. Someone smarter than me will expound any time I'm sure.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.

Barry screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 04:50 AM
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote