View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #64
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 291
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beendog View Post
..............In the case of accelerating through said turn, you have weight on each tire providing traction, while you have cornering force and torque consuming traction.

In the case of coasting through said turn, you have weight on each tire providing traction, while you have only cornering force consuming traction, no torque consuming the rear tire's traction. So we know for a fact the rear now has more traction available for cornering, but for the front, I don't know. We do have more weight on the front when coasting through, but we aren't braking, so cornering force is the only thing consuming traction...............The front tire equation is the one that I would be struggling with here. In neither case, coasting or on the throttle, does the front tire have anything but cornering force consuming available traction. Does having another 50-100lbs on the front tire consume more cornering force than what is provided by the added weight? Lee Parks' book says yes. But what this would mean is that the lighter your motorcycle, the higher G-force you could pull, which doesn't sound right to me...........
Think of a leaned wheelie while leaving a turn: how can the bike be balanced on only one tire? Could that be done at extreme lean angles?

The point is that as we transfer weight over one tire (CG moves aft or forward), we also transfer the percentage of the lateral force that the tire is feeling, not only the vertical force.

Going to extreme examples is useful many times:
Being skillful enough to keep the steering and weight balanced, could you go around a turn in stoppie attitude only?
Could you go around the same turn doing only a sustained wheelie?
If so, which way could be a faster coasting and why?
Which way could handle the maximum lean angle and why?
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote