Originally Posted by Espada
Thank you very much! I do have a question from your demonstration ride:
- How is the low speed fueling. The low speed fueling on my 2010 Multistrada 1200S is kind of crap, so the idea of a smooth V-Twin down low would be very nice
- Did you feel the weight of the exhaust can much on the right side? I plan on getting a Wings... but I'm still curious
- I have read good things about the gearbox, but that was from journalists, and I am reticent to believe everything they write (due to not wanted to upset bike mfgrs.), how did banging through the gears feel to you? Was it smooth?
- I want an R, but my brother wants a Standard, so I'll ask about the electronic suspension, did you play with the modes, and did you feel a difference? Electronic suspension adjustment is definitely one place where the Multi shines
- Is it easy to wheelie (^_^)
- Do you recall if the digital displays got washed out in the sunlight?
As a new, UK based owner of the std ADV (with electronic suspension) I think I can answer most of your questions.
* Low speed fuelling is excellent. I upgraded from a 990 Supermoto, so know full well the twitchy throttle syndrome! I deliberately tested it at low revs - between 2k and 3k - and higher gears. I can use 4th gear at 30 mph on the flat.....
* Exhaust weight - nah, can't feel it there.
* Gearbox is smooth. I regular missed 3rd to 4th on my 990SM (unless wearing MX boots) but no such problems on the 1190. You can do clutch less up changes AND down changes (with a blip of the throttle).
* Electronic suspension makes a difference to the damping. Spring rate isn't changed, of course. I find I use comfort mode down bumpy back roads at speed, and you can really feel it working. Not forgetting the preload adjustment for Rider only, luggage, pillion, pillion + luggage. That definitely works.
* Sport mode gives you a livelier throttle (and automatically selects sport suspension) and yes, it will wheelie. Add the top box and fill it with laptop etc.....
* digital display is just fine, because it's black characters on a white background.
So, get a test ride and find out for yourself!