View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #43
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby1 View Post
Help me out here I tried yesterday and failed to wheelie my Wee Strom. It's got crash bars - skid plate - hand guards and didn't cost too much so my only concern is my health because at middle age stuff doesn't heal up like it used to.

Having found a mostly hidden slab where a big box store was torn down by my house, I was practicing the skills Off Road Fanatic has on U-tube.

Figure 8's -then one handed figure 8's -then standing figure 8's - mostly failed at standing 1 handed standing figure 8's - didnt even try knees on the seat or side saddle stuff.
Emergency stops all good - lock up back tire -squeeze front hard while leaning back.

Could not get the Wee to do a roll on throttle wheelie - takes off fast but no wheelie even dumping clutch and wide open throttle in first gear.

Tried rolling start - shift to second pull in clutch - rev and drop clutch - front jumped but just compresseed back suspension still no wheelie.
On 4th try chain made a bad sound so I went home.

Am I not leaning back enough ? Not pulling up on the bars ? not reving it enough ? not dumping the clutch hard enough ?

Help me out here I can't afford a Ducati because apparently that's what they we built for as anybody on one pulls a wheelie ever few miles around here.
I have a wee, and suck at wheelies too. I've only wheelied it twice in 30k. Both times unintentionally while going through the same intersection. rad on first from a light while crossing an intersection where the cross street road crown goes through the intersection. With that, up she comes. All other times, I can get on it pretty much full throttle and the front stay down. I have a steel skid plate and sw-motech bars which all add a bit of weight to the front.

It will do it, but extra weight of the plastic and headlights up front make it resist a little. Also I suspect the softened suspension of an aged/unmodified wee, probably doesn't make it any easier.

From what I've been told, most any bike can wheelie. It is just some riders, don't normally come close to the necessary inputs to make it happen. I have a WR250R also, and have seen other rider on them loft the wheel all the time, but for me, it doesn't seem so easy.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote