View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #30
St. Arbucks
Looking for clues...

Oddometer: 365
Leaving out of Pueblo, CO (that sounds great all by itself!), take 96 West to Wetmore. Stay on 96 West up over the Wet Mountains towards Westcliffe, CO. As you crest the last hill past the Wet Mountains, hold on to your handlebars, because the horizon opens up into an incredible grassy plain with the next range of Rocky Mountains streched from north to south. Really, I have trouble keeping it on the road.

After you get to Westcliffe (a lovely town with a few good shops, restaurants, and bars), take 69 North (really runs north-west) towards 50. From the intersection of 69 and 50, you have a choice: west towards Salida, or east to Canon City. Either way is cool, because 50 follows the Arkansas River as it makes its way out of the Rockies. Plenty of twisties and sweepers. And both towns are stunning.

For the more adventurous, take 50 East towards Canon City, and just east of Canon, find Phantom Canyon Road (north), an awesome dirt road through incredible rock formations and tunnels carved for the small guage railroad of yesteryear. PCR will run you into Cripple Creek, and finally, to I-24, if you've had enough and want to make your way back to Pueblo.

Have fun.

2013 Tiger 800 XC, 2007 ST-1300, 1991 KLX-650

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

St. Arbucks screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 08:17 PM
St. Arbucks is offline   Reply With Quote