View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #146
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by nailit2em View Post
Tipping a non government official in the food service industry can not be compared to tipping a public official who is sworn to protect you! One is customary. The other is highly illegal not only in the U.S.A. but also in Guatemala!

My wife and I traveled the road in question in 2011. It was a particularly rainy day to say the least. The "road" turned to complete shit and very difficult one up little lone two up on a GSA fully loaded. A short time after my wife got off to walk two Guatemalan Policia stopped and gave her a ride to where the road actually turned back into a road. They were happy to do it and asked nothing of us. We both gave them our gratitude via a smile, wave and a verbal gracias. They turned around to help whoever came along next and we continued on our way. If people start tipping who knows if that scenario will ever repeat. Or worse case you get an officer who is offended you tipped them and you get a ride of your own to the local cop shop.

Just my two cents.
A small show of appreciation for service above the call of duty is not bribery or corruption, in my opinion. I'm not going to argue the point, as I won't change your opinion, and I really don't give a rat's ass if I do.

Hopefully advFord found my reply to his question somewhat useful, as that is all I was trying to do.