Sorry I have been remiss in keeping up the build log. I am hoping to have the bike rideable by the middle of next week or so.
I think I left the story off at the crank install. I set everything out for the long block assembly.
I took a little time at the press
and found the valves to be nice and tight. Unfortunately someone before me had been a bit heavy handed when tightening the lock nut against the rocker arm and had stripped out the threads on 3 out of 4 adjusting bolts. the threads were bad enough that I couldn't back them out through the rocker arm without risking the threads on the arm so it was time for a bit of grinding.
with the heads ready to go it was time to finish out the shortblock
if you have been following along you might recall some advice not to reuse the wrist pin snap rings. With the decision to upgrade to the 800cc nikasil jugs the newer pistons are machined for circlips.
It all went together nicely.
then the trans went back in
and I started to work on the wiring
I fabbed up a little dash to mount the idiot lights and hang the headlight from and then really set to work. The left control perch was seized onto the broken stub of bar but a little time in to oven and off it came. I took the opportunity to snap a shot of odd construction of bar that came on the bike.
Those white bars that I have had on during the mockup are 7/8" so it took a bit of creativity to get the controls mounted up but I got them on there and started to get my connections made up for the handlebar switches
and then started to lay out the relays
Sorry I didn't get may photos along the way but I'll leave you with an old shot for inspiration and if anyone is interested in more of the details of any particular part of the build so far just let me know and I'll fill in the gaps.