View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #52
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
I don't know how you guys could know that the crashbars were the ones, that actually protected your tanks in a getoff, or it could've been fine anyway.. The tanks/fairing are quite expensive, but:

- I hit a tree at about 30mph, had one of the brake disks, lower triple, front subframe bent (twisting the fairing more than a bit - but they went back to their shape after unbolting them from the subframe), broke the steering limiter off the frame, still the plastic parts all survived - only the paint came off here and there.
- Dropped the bike on all kind of terrain (rocks, sand, mud, trees, bushes, tar, Moon, etc.) more than I could count, and the tanks/fairings are only scratched, but none of them are broken.
- I only have the 990's tank protectors hacked to suite the 950.

I'm not saying that it's better without the crash bars, I'm just saying that after the shit hits the fan, it's hard to tell if the bars would have, or would have not saved the situation.. You can crack the tanks with or without the bars, break the engine case with the bar (probably without as well), bend the frame with or without the bar, etc..

I was fine without the bars for the past 30k kms, but it's possible that next time I fall I'll crack the tanks.. Maybe if I bought the bars, I'd bend the frame.. You can never know, so IMO it's no need to sweat it. Use them if you believe it's better with them, lose them if you're ok without them. But they're not essential, many of us can tell you that, based on our lots of combined getoffs and miles.

Sumi screwed with this post 11-05-2013 at 04:18 PM
Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote