View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #26
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Just use a portable Wi-Fi SD Card Reader.

But, that won't solve the BaseCamp issue. Garmin could easily put the real BaseCamp (not BaseCamp Mobile) on iOS for iPad. But, they missed the mark badly early on in the mobile market with the GarminFone and are now very much focused on short term profitability from what I can see - not that profitability is a bad thing when your PND market is shrinking.

These days they just seem to be throwing one misfire after another at iOS and Android. If I were Cliff Pemble, I would reorganize the PND group and put someone in there that comes from the real mobile world give them some room to run. Garmin has all of the components to make a big hit in the iOS/Android market but they are not going to get there with there current management. JMPO

It seems Garmin is/has become like Blackberry.......nothing really new or modern in many years. My guess is that in a few years standalone GPS units will be few and far between. Take the Montana now add XM, Spot or similar, WIFI/cellular with the ability to use droid/ios apps, real time weather/radar via XM or cellular, have it not take years to get the bugs worked out and that would make for a modern GPS unit.

mpatch screwed with this post 11-06-2013 at 08:55 AM
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote