View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #91
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDWPUNK View Post
I normally don't join in the group back slapping that goes on around here, but I just wanted to say that you are traveling through Mexico on your stomach, and that is the right way to do it! Well done, sir!

I have eaten in a lot of countries, and in my opinion the food and food culture in Mexico is as rooted in history, nuanced, complex and delicious as anywhere, and frankly more so than most.

I spent a few years living in Central Mexico (Mexico, Hidalgo, Queretaro, Guanajuato and Oaxaca). Most tourists totally miss out on the best parts of Mexico by skipping straight to the beaches and resorts. I especially like that you are taking the time to make friends, which is another thing that your casual vacationer misses out on: people who are genuinely friendly and hospitable and are not paid to be that way. Keep up the great work on this report! Que le via muy bien! Andale!
Thanks IDWPUNK, pretty hard to beet following your stomach. Food is a window into an areas culture, and as you said, it's history. If I miss out on the food I miss out on an important part of the experience. Seems like staying well fed and well imbibed here won't be an issue though.
SeanPNW is offline   Reply With Quote