View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 04:39 AM   #72
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Would Giant Loop's "saddlebags" work? The panniers come right up over the top behind the rider and down the other side. Don't have them yet but will probably get some -- I don't plan on touring 2 up and I dig Colebatch's preference for soft bags vs hard boxes.
I've considered purchasing a Giant Loop Great Basin wrap-around bag previously. By acting as a tail-bag and saddles (all-in-one) you don't have to find a way to secure the tail-bag onto the bike separately from the saddles. This seems pretty convenient. But they apparently aren't waterproof. The other drawback I envision is that it would be cumbersome packing a lot of my stuff in the bag. And then when you need a particularly item - finding it, and retrieving it during a stop may be a challenge. And I'm not convinced the Great Basin would be a "click and go" setup - which is ultimately what I'm striving for with my gear. My top case now serves as my primary "tail-bag" and it's hard to dispute the convenience of the "click-and-go" convenience of the Givi setup.

My Ortieb saddles can stay fastened to the bike too while I remove or replace gear out and into them. And they are easy to access at a stop. Quick and convenient top loading and unloading. I hate fighting with straps - trying to find the most secure way to attach bags to the bike each time I need to place the bags back on the bike after breaking down camp. That can waste a lot of time. The Ortliebs aren't the greatest in this respect - because they can be a big floppy unless you can find some creative ways to secure them to the bike. I have a US20 Kriega bag that I can attach to the pillion seat in just a couple of seconds with two speed clip straps that stay attached under the seat and clip into the US20 bag. I like this design. I'll probably use it on my next trip. It should help the air flow behind me a little more cleanly.

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 11-09-2013 at 05:11 AM
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote