View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #78
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Then somebody posts here the other day that the screw on emblems were carried over into the first /6 tanks.

I have never seen such a tank.
I have some very early /6 motorcycles and none have screw-on emblems.

Quote:
I have in my possession a tank that came off a /5 with stick on emblems. This tank will not fit a /6 because the under tank space is not big enough for the Master Cylinder.

There are a few /5 tanks with stick on emblems.
I wonder if BMW made the disctinction between R60/6 tanks and R75/6 and R90/6. R60/6 tanks wouldn't need the space under them for the master cylinder (drum brakes) and if discovered off the bike would appear as /5 tanks with stick-on emblems. I wouldn't think BMW would make a run of these when it would be cheaper/faster to just crank out /6 tanks that could fit the master cylinder, but here are the possibilities:

R50/5, R60/5, and R75/5 tanks - screw-on emblems, without master cylinder, aluminum forward- (70-71) and rear- (72-on) flipping gas caps
R60/6 tanks - stick-on emblems, without master cylinder, chrome rear-flipping gas caps
R75/6 and R90/6 tanks - stick-on emblems, with master cylinder, chrome rear-flipping gas caps
R90S tanks - a different animal.

Since I have an R60/6, you'd think I'd take the tank off and compare it to my two R75/6s and R90/6.

crazydrummerdude screwed with this post 11-11-2013 at 07:24 PM
crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote