View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #78
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Thanks for the reply re Giant Loop possibilities. I had forgotten that in order to really have waterproofness one would have to buy the specially shaped dry bags to go inside the saddlebags. The saddlebag itself is only described on their website as "water resistant". I think they could stand to make that much more obvious on the site instead of throwing around stuff about "trucker's tarps" and "mil-spec" (especially w/o calling out the spec itself). One thing about the dry bags is that they would serve to organize the load a bit, it could still be a hassle finding something to take out if you stop along the way.

Loved the report! Looking forward to your next one!
I must admit that I could never go back to non-waterproof saddles or tailbag. It's nice to have no worries about whether my gear will be dry when setting up my sleeping quarters for the evening - while riding through hard driving rain. It's hard to express the amount of satisfaction I feel when I am cold and wet - then change into dry clothes and climb onto my dry, warm, and cozy bed in the tent. It feels almost like home. What is nice too - is that I can leave the saddles and Givi on the bike overnight. They're always dry inside - even if it rains all night. And another nice thing about the Ortlieb saddles and Givi case is that it allows me to organize my gear based on where I decide to place it. The tent poles, sleeping bag, sandals, rain-gear, and air bed go in the Givi. The left saddle contains the tent, and tool bag, and the right saddle contains my clothes and electronics. This system works pretty well for me. Having said that - it seems like there are riders who love the Giant Loop stuff and it seems to work well for them.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote