View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #2987
Eris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I don't agree but then that's no surprise

I honestly don't agree with the start small thing. Why? Because it significantly limits your learning. You're not going to be able to get on the freeway, you're not going to be able to keep up in higher speed traffic and more importantly you're going to need to buy a new bike before you even get a feel for what you want.

You don't have to start with something super powerful to have a bike that will go on the highway. Granted, I started with an R100GS and while it's a big bike I couldn't have been happier with it. The throttle isn't spazzy, it's powerful enough to get out of the way but it's not ever going to shoot out from under me and frankly I wouldn't ever have to get anything else (though of course I will because I now know all the other bikes I want!).

I will say DON'T go get yourself some super powered sport bike because yes, that it dumb, but something that feels comfortable at highway speeds gives you a bike you can ride until you decide on what you've always wanted... assuming that you're not already sitting on it!
Eris is offline   Reply With Quote