View Single Post
Old 11-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #37
Kokosha
n00b

Oddometer: 4
missed Ingushetia, regretting

Wesley,
unfortunately I passed Ingushetia by highway this time and regretting much.
All the charming names like Vovnushki, Erzi, Dzheyrakh, Egikal and some others are waiting till May '14 (pic stolen)

But I'm pretty sure this particular Maga (although the name is very common) was also present at the season opening in Grozny and Makhachkala which I was made to visit not to offend my hosts - every rider from 3 republics was there.

I've had a very brief holiday there - only 2 weeks, but that's cause I did not hand over my notice and had a job to return to.

I managed to squeeze pretty much into these weeks though and I'm still mesmerized but views and people - just what you told - everybody invites you, no chance to check any hotels. Guys took days off from work and left relatives visiting at home to accompany me - Caucasian courtesy.

This is midday working day - guys came and left and were very sorry they cannot spend the whole day there drinking tea and deciding who is going with me to the mountains.

They would never allow a guest, let alone a female one to go anywhere alone. After few tons of tea had to make a secret decision to leave telling them I'm heading for border - the only chance to get to see anything ant talk to strangers - while accompanied by them I had no chance to be spoken to

These guys have the same opinion of mountains like those who live at the seacoast and swim only in rivers. The more ironic one told "we dream to prove we've already come down" meaning specific attitude towards highlanders that's common anywhere in the world.

Kokosha screwed with this post 11-16-2013 at 05:25 AM
Kokosha is offline   Reply With Quote