View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #30
Snowhite808 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
Too bad about the Aux tank, it looked great. Was it just the wel'd failing or was the aluminum used too thin?

Nice work on the rest of the bike.

Thank You very much.

The aux tank aluminium was 1.8mm and the welds and holders more than 4mm. Made from the same stuff they make aluminium boats. Needless to say - the tank had strengthening cuts inside and "chambers" but the ripping power of bad roads on the tank holders is just too much. They started to tear from the welds and also just the bare material started to rip open.
So I suppose it had too little suppport or too small support. I did plan to make a fastener also to the side - but I was really afraid of falling with the bike and having spillage. Not good to have gasoline spillage with a hot exhaust and other parts meeting.
So now the plan is to create side cases with holder for a 5l jerry can. This should do most of the needed job as well. Have been to some trips with bikes and at one point - extra fuel has always been needed.

Next up will be new oil to the forks, spark plug change and putting the nose back together. (still waiting for the new heated grips and stuff.
Snowhite808 is offline   Reply With Quote