View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #50
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,296
I hear what you're saying Tim, but NASCAR in those days was a small, niche sport, much like motorcycle racing is today. They would get 10,000-20,000 for a regular race (Daytona was always bigger), and made it work with those numbers.

Many more people drive cars than ride bikes, but not every car driver is a race enthusiast. I'm not sure what the ratio of car drivers interested in racing is to bike riders interested in racing, but DMG probably has a good idea. Maybe economically it doesn't work, but in the 70's and 80's tobacco and beer companies sponsored a lot of bike racing. They had to see a return on investment there.

The series is looking especially grim, and I don't have a magic elixir for a cure. I just think a lot more work can be done by the sanctioning body to make it viable. Maybe it will still go down the terlit, but I'd rather see it go down for something other than lack of effort. The more I see of it the more it seems like a hobby of Jim France, and not being run like a stand alone business enterprise with a dedicated staff who are passionate about the state of the sport.

Roger Edmondson, enough said.
Motorcyclist is online now   Reply With Quote