View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #267
Malindi OP
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
Great photography, thanks a bunch.

How did you happen to plan your early life with an eye toward travel the way you did? Was it spontaneous or did someone else plant the seed?
Phew .. loads of ways to answer this. I flew to Nairobi on a whim, back in 1991, and from that time I knew I was hooked and wanted to travel more. I've never been a white picket fence/dog/wife/kid kind of guy and live(d) pretty frugally. So I retired, more or less, at 43.

I think there are a few items on my website that will give you an idea of how the thinking started.
This is from my trip in 2006, and how that thinking started/evolved:
http://www.nohorizons.net/Pages/restlessness.htm

Then as I got older, I saw more and more of my friends getting "trapped" in the family/kid/wife/career thing. Especially the last one seems to be hard to shake as people want to keep up with the Jones', at all levels of society. Then people start getting divorced, start dying, even at my age from various diseases, cancer, stress .. you name it. In the end, life is short (and brutish or beautiful, depending on your stance), so you have to make the best of it.

There are always a thousand reasons not to travel. You have to decide what you want out of life, no one is going to give it to you.