View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #58
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,956
I think if Saturday amounted to two timed practice sessions of under 30 minutes with the grid set by fastest lap in any session, the small teams might save enough. They would only need four rears tires and 3 front tires for the whole weekend, instead of the 7 rears and 4 fronts I bought in 2011. Better yet, dump spec tires and let the tire companies compete for their share of the grid. My #1 son benefited from that formula a long time ago. He rode sticker tires pretty much every session. That's what it takes to find those tenths. Under the spec tire deal you buy every tire. True, they are US made Dunlop race tires and quite a bit cheaper than the British tires, but they are not as cheap as a contract allocation!

The hotel and related savings are material too. Even the smallest teams need a pit box manager and tuner and you pay for him by the race meet. Maybe the rest of the village could be volunteers, but you have to pay for their trip.

But to me the big thing is winning sponsors. There has to be some value to their investment. It seems like we are back to the dark ages in that way. Maybe it is time to just organize a meet and split the gate with the riders? Maybe it is time for a new series run by more grass roots people?
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote