Old 12-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #46
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinglow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
Looks like that problem with the airbox not sealing can get pretty serious....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6QjMx5De-QA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That Unifilter kit is looking like a must-have.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfink View Post
I ridden all countries in South and Central America, East Texas and the Trans Labrador highway and can attest to great amounts of dust in all places. If indeed the problem is caused by bypassing the filter, that damages valve seats and scores the cylinder walls, this should be seen by doing a compression and bleed down test.

Has anyone done this? If so, can we get the results?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's obvious that the air intake design is a significant departure from other KTM bikes that I'm familiar with. Until I see one live, it's more difficult to determine if there could be a problem with the seal of the box or if the problem lies in how the filter mounts and seals in place. Every air intake on every bike determines the ford height for water crossings. I wonder how much impact the tube system has on that, probably not much. Finally, before being convinced that there is cylinder or valve damage, the leak down test along with compression values should be reported. It is entirely possible that some bikes were poorly shimmed from the factory and KTM seems to have acknowledged that problem. A disagreement with the design team who implemented the airbox design is another matter, IMHO.
I think there was a legitimate request to activate this thread over this issue and I did not get any information or response when posted to the 1190 thread so I'm going to make it an issue here..............
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote