View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #36
Falang OP
Singapore

Oddometer: 107
Thanks for all the comments! I hesitated before doing this write-up, since the site seems more to be about current adventures and the latest border crossing issues relevant to riders on the road today. “This is likely the best First Post on AdvRider!” I am honored! But no rating…?

This is the camera that was used to take all the pictures (except this one!):

It was a Minox 35EL, which came out the same year as the bike and was at the time (and maybe still is) the world’s smallest full-frame 35mm film camera - the ultimate touring biker camera of its day. Andy Warhol used one and the Russians soon cloned it, calling it the Kiev. It was half the size and weight of the digital Canon G12 which I currently use, but no zoom, no antishake, no autofocus or rangefinder, no built-in flash--and it cost about a buck a shot to shoot.

For fun, the old Minox film camera specs vs. the new digital technology:
* Focal length: 35mm fixed (vs. 28-140mm equivalent zoom)
* Focus (minimum): 1m manual (vs. 1cm macro, automatic or manual)
* Aperture: f2.8 to 16, manual (vs. 2.8 to 8, automatic or manual)
* ISO: 25-800 fixed, depending on the roll of film (vs. 80-1600, variable manually or automatically)
* Shutter: 1/500 to 1 sec. automatic (vs. 1/4000 to 15 sec, automatic or manual)
* Exposure: Aperture priority (vs. many different modes, automatic or manual)
* Metering: Averaging (vs. many different modes). To get backlit photos which were not underexposed it was necessary to cheat by taking the camera out of the leather case and temporarily setting the ISO dial on the bottom to a value 1/2 or 1/4 than that the ISO of the actual film--and remembering to set it back after that shot to avoid spoiling the rest of the photos on the roll.
* Size: 100 x 61 x 31 (vs. 112 x 76 x 48)
* Volume: 190cm2 (vs. 400 cm2)
* Weight: 200g (vs. 400g)
* Exposures: 24 or 36 per roll (vs. thousands on an SD card).
* Resolution: 10 to 30 effective megapixels depending on the quality and ISO of the film (vs. 10 MP for the G12). The lower the ISO, the lower the film grain and higher the effective megapixels--but the longer the shutter speed and higher the camera shake blur when it was not a sunny day.

About more photos of Colorado, here are few more between New Mexico and Colorado on that trip, as far as I can reckon where I took them. Film doesn’t have timestamps, let alone geotags! I didn’t include these photos in the ride report, thinking that the countryside would be the same today except for the increase in Winnebagos … and Harleys which were rare on the road then; that was the year that AMF sold Harley-Davidson before it expired. I notice that there were no guard rails along those mountain highways; I wonder if there are guardrails now:

About riding in SEA, I enjoy it both on road and off and that’s a large part of the reason I am still here. Mexico was good preparation for rural Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Myanmar! I will upload a couple of Asia ride reports.
Falang is offline   Reply With Quote