View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #154
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
I did a bit of research on speed wobble and discussed this with my experienced mechanic here in Seattle. There are many factors that contribute to it. Higher suspension bikes are more susceptible. Load the bikes up for a long trip and throw in a few frost heaves.. who knows... I am in the process of seeing if I can get a steering damper installed.
Yes, there is a steering damper made for the Dakar, it is made by RalleMoto in Australia. However, the bad news is that it will not prevent the wobble. I have a 2012 Sertao, which is basically identical to the Dakar, and it wobbles in high speed. It is, however, solid, if I am riding two up. So adding weight on the back makes it stable in my particular case. I have installed the steering damper and it does nothing to the wobble. The bars are not moving perceptibly, if at all, during the wobble. We are trying to figure out on the Sertao thread what might be causing this. Some people reported that the wobble was gone after they have installed aftermarket handle bars. For some it got solid after removing or changing the end weights (vibration absorbers). I personally suspect that it is the weights. I will experiment one day, when I get motivated.

Good luck either way! Sounds like you guys make the best of your lives:).
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote