View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #157
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
Yes, and the steering damper is a pretty pricey accessory. I'm still doing some research. I've began to take notice of some others and reviews mentioning the wobble above 60 mph on the Dakrs/Sertao... -Grizz
GrizzLee,

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to talk you out of the steering damper. In fact, the damping action at the bars feels kinda nice. I am sure it would give your son more confidence in off-road conditions. I am just trying to prevent disappointment, if you get your hopes too high (like I did) as far as the high speed wobble is concerned. The damper is not going to help with it because the bars are not really moving much (if at all) when it happens. I am also NOT saying that there is no solution. The fact that the bike (my bike) is rock solid with the weight of a passenger in the back is encouraging. I am not sure if it's the weight distribution that helps or the lower tail end geometry. I also mentioned the end weights on the bars as another suspect. Many Dakars are reported to be wobble free. So I think it has to do with individual handle bar/ bar weights combinations etc. Don't give up on this model, it's a great bike. I am sure the winning configuration combination can be found. And, if your son going to ride off road, the damper investment might be a nice addition.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

windowto screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 05:47 PM
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote