View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #31
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Oil pump pressure relief is out side of the center cases.

Not aware of a shift drum upgrade. There may be an updated part, but that doesn't always mean you need it.

One more thing, pull all the oil jets and clean out the passages. Don't need to split the cases for this.
Thanks Zuber,

So If you were in my shoes you would not split the case regardless? Is there any down side to checking/replacing the main bearings and addressing other internal issues, other than me having more opportunities to screw something up?

Have you seen 950s that have 125k+ miles on the bottom ends without any attention? I feel like I need to get at least 50k on this rebuild to make it worth my time and money

Just so people know the bike has to be 100% reliable. It will be used in very remote parts of the Western US solo most of the time and hopefully next year (maybe '15, first kid is due in a few weeks) I would really like to do a 2 up trip through baja as a belated honeymoon with my wife.

I am getting a list of 'must do" items and then optional stuff that will depend on the budget once the engine is apart. I will post up what I have along with prices and maybe that will help push me down the right road.

Deltatango....
I hear you about main engine parts, they are stupid expensive and in my case or out of the question for the most part.

I am cautiously optimistic the engine will be in decent shape. Most of the miles came from the PO commuting to work as I understand. It has seen its fair share of off-road and long trips no doubt, but I dont think it was abused like some 950 are with the same miles.

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote