View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #41
COXR650L OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
I just got up from the garage working on winter maintenance, and this year I figured I'd do a leak down test, since I'm at 65k miles, and the bike has been running a bit off for the last couple months (I think it's a clogged pilot jet, actually). Leak down numbers were great, and I don't feel like I could make the bike perform better or be more reliable by tearing it apart when it seems to be fine shape.

I'll be interested to see what your top end looks like with a few more miles than mine, but I do think you should do a leak down test and make absolutely sure your oil leak is from the base gaskets before you take the motor out and start taking it apart. My 2 cents.
I am 90% sure the leak is the base gasket, but I also think the head gasket is leaking because I am getting oil into the coolant overflow bottle, so with those two issues the engine pretty much has to come out.

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I've decided I am not going to touch the bottom end after looking at some of the higher millage engines and seeing that even in flogged bikes the bottom ends seem to be in good shape, especially given that I dont have any shifting problems.

However, the rings probably will be about worn out so I will do new rings and clean up the heads when I replace the gaskets.

I feel better knowing what direction Im going so I can get parts ordered and hopefully start working on the bike after Christmas

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride

COXR650L screwed with this post 12-20-2013 at 06:25 AM
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote