View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 03:24 AM   #39
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Wambsganss View Post
I have a set of Metzeler Z8 Interacts (mfgd in 2012). When new they had a very noticeable heavy waxy/greasy film on the tread area. I don;t know if it's mold release agent, or what, but it was slippery on the road. I could not cut through it with Simple Green or Fast Orange. It just smeared. This makes me think it was a wax vs a grease. It clogged up sandpaper. The only way I found to remove it was to wear it off on the road, just being very careful as I leaned further over the first few times.

That's how all my tyres look like. However, I'm not pushing it hard enough on public roads to recognize any difference between the completely scuffed area and the first time of touching the untouched area when at last a peg touches the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
The next myth we see perpetuated nearly every time we watch the warm-up lap to a race. Riders begin weaving back and forth in apparent attempt to scuff the tread surface (which we've already discounted) and generate heat. The reality is that, according to every tire engineer that I've asked, there are far more effective ways of generating heat in a tire that are also much safer. Rather than weaving back and forth-which does little in the way of generating heat but does put you at risk asking for cornering grip from tires before they're up to temperature-you're far better off using strong acceleration and braking forces, and using them while upright, not leaned over! Acceleration and braking forces impart far more flex to the tire carcass, which is what generates the heat that then transfers to the tread compound as well (you often see Formula 1 cars weaving violently back and forth because automobile tires operate on a horizontal plane, so they have and use significant sidewall flex to generate heat).
What I don't get: When it's a myth, why do the professional riders do it all the time?
Also from my personal experience, especially on cold days, the tyre gets warm in the centre from as you said acceleration and braking, but since rubber isn't an exceptional well heat conductor, that heat is NOT transfered to the sides of the tread. Even after miles and miles of riding, including upright ABS braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
Tires also get harder with every heat cycle, those tires which are five years old do not have near the traction of a nice shiny new tire ya'll are afraid of. Yet you would not hesitate to jump on said tire simply because "they are not new"
Why the fuck should I use such old, not to say rotten, tyres? I'm always buying the newest tyre model, manufactured a few weeks or at worst months ago. My tyres in general don't happen to become older than a year until they're changed. Buy outdated stuff only to save maybe twenty bucks a piece? Seriously?