View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #49
TheBlurr OP
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Wambsganss View Post
Maybe I'm completely off base here, but at this point, considering the spelling, grammar, and vitriol, I have to think that there is a significant amount of trolling going on here. Maybe I shouldn't continue to feed into it.
Yea that's it.
Quote:
Similar to a previous poster, 90% of my riding is a short 3.5 mile urban commute to work. I have never had an issue on this short commute, where the tires should not have a chance to warm up to full temperature. I'm not saying that a cold tire is never an issue for anyone. I'm not saying that a cold tire will grip like a warm one. I'm just saying that the issues I report were observed on longer trips, in good weather, in sweeping corners, on good concrete, under minimal acceleration. Based on my experience and that of others, there is the possibility that at least some tires have a film that needs to be removed before trying to utilize the full cornering potential of the tire.
Based on whos experience? Dude honestly, I will make this simple, visit the damn track, most will let pretty much any type of motorcycle provided it is safety wires with the lights taped. It is strongly encouraged especially in your case to realize that people will be going into "Unsubscribed" areas of their tires and simply not falling down do to your notion of the slippery release compound.
Exposure is everything and again, to back up my Claims I am ENCOURAGING you to expose yourself to this environment.

Quote:
Here is a picture of me holding some shavings of the film that came on my tire. This was removed from the side of the tread area, by dragging a razor blade at an angle perpendicular to the tire surface. This did not cut into the tire at all, just dragged across the surface. This is not rubber. It is a black colored film. It feels almost like paint. It flakes when rolled in your fingers. Tire rubber is not naturally black, it has to be dyed black. Maybe this is leftover from that dying process. I'm not sure. When using the same procedure on the center of the tread (where the surface is already scrubbed), nothing came off. No rubber; no film.

I'm not sure what other evidence would be necessary to simply establish the mere possibility that new tires might have some sort of film.
Maybe you should look into how a tire is made and you will have your answer, it undoubtedly is some residue left over from the process, you do realize that tires have not been cut from a rubber tree in 70 years right
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote