View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #53
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
Any time a solid is heated to liquid then allowed to cool and return to solid form there is a resulting crust or skin that forms on the surface. .
What are you talking about? Rubber is not "a solid heated to a liquid then allowed to cool and return to solid". It's a solid from start to finish.

(speaking only of the factory I work in)

My two cents on this, as a tire factory employee. The factory I work at, which makes car tires, does not use any kind of coating in the tire mold. We have tried it, and it failed. We do spray on a silicon based release agent onto each tire, inside and out, tread and sidewall. Someone mentioned filling in nooks and crannies, that's bullshit. In my plant, if the rubber doesn't get into every little space it's supposed to, if the tread blocks aren't sharp, if there is too much mold flash, that mold is shut down until it can be resolved. (I have done maintenance in every area of the factory)

I have never thought to scrub in car tires, but every time I install tires on my bike I take it easy for the first 100-150 miles before I get aggressive.

Tuna Helper screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 11:28 AM
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote