View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
zachbrowning OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Livin' in a Van, Down by the River.

Hi, my name is Zach. My girlfriend (Andie) and I recently purchased a couple of XR650Rs from some fellow inmates with the idea of riding them south to Central America and maybe further. Due to various financial and scheduling concerns we revised our plan for the winter. We're now traveling through the desert southwest in my trusty (sketchy-looking) Ford cargo van, and towing the XRs along to ride and explore as we go. We're just getting started and plans are very loose, but we're thinking we'll spend the coldest months in southern AZ and maybe CA, and then venture further north as the weather allows. So far we've only done day-rides, but we're hoping to find get some opportunities to leave the molester-mobile behind and do some multi-day rides. We're keen to meet up and ride with people in the area, so feel free to send me a PM with ride suggestions, general knowledge, offers of beer, etc.

Pre-Ride
----------------------

I don't really live in the States anymore, but my mom and stepdad live in NM, so I use their place as my US base of operations. I wanted to arrange to purchase bikes ahead of my arrival back in the US, so I went ahead and searched the Flea Market nonstop for a couple of months. I found a couple of likely suspects and was pleased that they were in the same geographical area, namely the Pacific NW, which is unfortunately not so close to NM. Oh well, road trip! We prepped the van, bought a trailer, broke a trailer, bought another trailer, and headed north and west. It was a quick trip and we didn't stop for many pictures, but here we are heading back through North Cascades National Park after picking up the bikes:

We managed to make it as far as UT before we had to stop and ride. Our first ride on some ATV trails just south of Price, UT:

Happy to say the I figured out the starting procedure for the beasts pretty quick and we had a great ride. This was my first time on an XR and Andie's first time on a dirt bike at all. We were both super stoked to be on such fantastic machinery. These things are a blast!!!

more photos coming...

zachbrowning screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 12:49 PM
zachbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote