View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #89
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 842
I love a thread that implodes on itself...and, particularly if the OP gets a good and proper beat-down for telling others how the world IS. That's just good entertainment, right there.

I also find that I usually get more education from the respondents than from the OP and you folks didn't disappoint. Thanks.

To the OP, why do you care so much? You're blathering will have little positive effect on anyone that heeds your advice. You are likely the first person I have read that advocated against safety.

My tire preparation includes a couple of variations.

1) I have been known to use WD-40 on tire beads to seat them. It has seemed to prevent tire slippage on the rim more than using tire soap. That's just from my anecdotal testing. And, I use 'just' enough to get the bead seated by applying it onto the bead with a rag prior to mounting (this was not meant as a highjack).

2) I use brake cleaner sprayed onto a rag to clean the outermost 1-inch per side of the tread. This cleans off any residual installation elixirs or surface contaminants. I have done this for years be my bike street or race based. Knobbies (or big-block tires) don't usually get that much attention unless they're for a street-going adventure bike.

3) I don't really sweat the break-in period too much. If I did that during a race then the race might be over before I ever got up to speed. Nevertheless, I do not neglect the warning, either. After installing tires, I will do about a ten-mile road test to be sure the beads are seated and that I got most of the tread put into service. Also, I do not toss the bike onto its side aggressively until I know that most of the tread surface has been used at least once. This gives me the chance to sense if the new tire(s) are going to be alright. I have found that medium speed sweepers (50 to 75 mph) are good to scuff tires on because you can roll into them gently and keep accelerating until your desired maximum lean is accomplished. Further, the higher speeds keep the bike stable (compared to 25 mph residential speeds) if there IS a temporary loss of grip.

I prefer to NOT run-in tires on residential or urban roads; too many oily deposits and debris. Once my initial road test is done then I give the tires a final visual inspection and a pressure check. So, I estimate that I am cautious for about 10 to 20 miles after installation, not 100 miles.

I really suspect that litigation has driven the manufacturers to be very conservative.

Lastly, I do not condone your use of my techniques if you are not comfortable with them.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is online now   Reply With Quote