View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #116
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
come aboard

welcome 'Chris K' and 'Henderson'
"come aboard the good ship muggerfugger............'all the way up....................to caledonia' 'come aboard' in the days before rock and roll
telefunken, telefunken, down on my knees with those wireless knobs..................AFN stars of jazz..........and we let the goldfish go
come back paddy reilly
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !"
so there i was having witnessed the magic of 'michael flateley' doin' his thang and looking around seeing how lonely a place this was........how we live here and you there and all that crap..............when i spotted out in the sea an island, see below

i mean this must be a handlin, livin out there, no point in having a bike out there, the only thing you'd be riding out ther would be a sheep and that would probably get fairly boring after a couple of years (i'm guessing on this one !)
next stop was to be a place called, yes, it's called Dunfanaghy..............!!! it means fort of the blonde warrior as gaeilge............i would have liked to meet this blonde warrior, i'm sure she would have been a fine thing too, then again she might have been a he, and that would
have put a different gloss on it altogether. and no, still no sign of bootsie yet.

on the way into 'blonde warriors fort' you pass an old building called 'the workhouse', this was a fine idea crafted by the 'noblemen' of the day to create a place where families could go on a holiday to get away from it all during our famine times.
these holiday resorts were built
all over this fair land and were very successful akin to the Thomas Cook of today. families were split up and segregated as part of the holiday atmosphere, one of the most popular activities for the men was 'rock breaking', something like todays 'spinning' and there was a graveyard
close by for the ones who just wouldn't play ball. all in all these places did very well and were always full but since the advent of the package holiday they really have just gone the way of butlins and mosney etc..............but the memories linger nonetheless.

as you can see in picture above, the architecture was, in its day, remarkable. After this tour down memory lane i saddled up and rode on towards horny head passing some nice vistas indeed.

not many out and about, but this was normal enough, more sheeps than peoples thesehereparts.

there are a few dogs though but they walk many a weary mile before they find a tree to pish against, it's a tough life for a dog here.

little bump on the hill in the distance..............'blondie warrior' buried up there !?

and eventually the horn...............note the fine artistic work upon the beautiful building............this remains, to this day, one of our great national treasures.

feel free to write in on the meaning of these hieroglyphics (!)
some say it should be read upside down, others back to front, and even more say there are letters missing !
whatever, just like the ancient egyptians, the history may be lost through the long passage of time.
i'm away for tea, no, coffee, no, tea, no, coffee...........................aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................!!!!
mka is offline   Reply With Quote