View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #140
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
I had a similar situation happen to me today at convience store over a parking spot. I unknowingly cut off a guy while pulling into the spot, but he was entering through the exit portion of the lot and I wasn't expecting a car coming from that direction. Dude parked directly behind me and jumped out of his car and was coming at me pretty fast. I put up my hands and said "stop, bad idea". He looked me in the eye and knew that it was not going to work out. He just turned around and muttered some choice words under his breath and drove away.

Ok, at the risk of sounding like a dork, I can fight like Forest Gump runs. I have earned four black belts and trained and competed in martial arts for over 20 years now. I make my living as a MA teacher, and have now for 12 years. I can't turn a wrench, or build a damned thing to save my life. But, the language of fighting is fluent to me. I love to train, and honestly I love to fight. Not on the street with knuckleheaded tough guys, but in the gym with other martial artists, in a competitive and respectful way. There have been a few times in my life when a shithead tough guy starts trouble with me or someone around me who isn't able to defend themselves. I always try to de-escalate, and I physically engage when no other option is available. Each time it's been over in less than 5 seconds. Way less. There's a lot of really tough dudes in this world, I am by no means claiming to be anywhere near the top of that heap. I'm just a little dude, 5ft 9in around 170lbs, but when the shit hits the fan my brain turns off and my body does what is very natural. A good martial artist has a plan A,B,C,D,E, ect. ect...

Ok, I'm not saying all this to brag(well maybe a little ) I'm saying this to try and promote the value of good training. We all need exercise. I feel that a great way to get it is to train in some sort of MA. It doesn't need to be rough or violent, and a good smart instructor won't run their school that way. The beauty of training is that you usually don't ever have to use it. When a shithead like the one who approached you about your bike starts in, generally a look into your eyes is all he needs to let him know that you aren't the best choice for a victim. We humans have a very strong threat assessment built into our brains, and it generally works in the background without us knowing. When a potential bully type looks into my eyes, he sees more than what is on the surface. He subconsciously chooses to drop it.

I wish that way more people in this world trained. I guarantee that the world would be a whole lot more peaceful.
Don't fuck with this guy - or anyone that uses deescalation as their first option. Really don't fuck with them if they tell you "I am not very tough." The real deal never looks or acts tough. They won't be "mad" at you as they kick your ass, instead they will feel bad for you (way worse.)

E
"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote