View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 02:39 AM   #51
Boarder06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
On to Albania

There was enough day left to make a dash across Tuscany, arriving at a campground just after the sun set.

Somewhere in Tuscany

Somewhere else in Tuscany

The next day I crossed from the northwestern end of the Italian boot to the southeastern end in Bari on the Autostrada (toll road). I paid EUR 50 for the privilege.

During my rest stops I did manage to have some parts shipped to Bulgaria, the eastern end of the EU. From the various reports on the Internet it was pretty clear that those who experience a water pump seal failure (mine was at 5000ish km) will very likely experience it again. The main culprit seems to be an alignment issue in the clutch housing. So I ordered that and all the parts to change it and another water pump seal kit, and while I get into the LHS I may as well also swap out the clutch cover w/o the bushing for a Loncin one that has the bushing. In the process of trying to order, I learned that BMW dealers are not supposed to ship to another country (all about turf protection) and that BMW had changed their ordering software a day earlier and nobody could supposedly get what they wanted. I did find a sympathetic soul at BMW (good thing I establish a prior contact) and we got everything under way.

I arrived in Bari with enough time to buy a ferry ticket to Durrės, Albania and have dinner from a fast food truck near the ferry dock.

Sunset snack

Boarding was pretty well organized and I was actually one of the first ones on board and could pick my sleeping spot in the lounge.

Who needs a cabin?

Lots of people crashed in the lounge and the staff didn’t have an issue with that. Around sunrise I moved outside for the remainder of the crossing.

Sunrise from the upper deck

Arrival in Durrės

Boarder06 screwed with this post 12-28-2013 at 11:43 AM
Boarder06 is offline   Reply With Quote