View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
Johnnymoto OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
NORRA Mex1K Support Thread

Hey guys. Last year there was a separate thread for support, thus I followed that protocol.

I'm pleased to announce that Tim Morton has agreed to offer support service for the NORRA Mexican 1000 again this year. We have six riders confirmed and onboard already. For anyone considering riding this event but is concerned with the logistics, support, and cost of all of that this is a good option.

Last year I did the Mex1k, it was my first ever off road race/rally of any type. Diane at Precision Concepts introduced me to Vanscourt, AKA Baja Dad, who was super cool, got on the phone with me, explained what needed to be where support wise, and let me know about Tim's deal. Tim knows Baja, he has a tour company, he has raced the Baja 1000 numerous times, 20+ I think, he has raced the Mex1k, done support for it the last few years, he doesn't pound his chest about it, but from chatting with him a bit, and having dinner with his parents and asking them about their family history in Baja I came to the conclusion that he has probably spent 1/4 of his life on the peninsula riding, touring, and running support. It shows. The deal last year worked like this: We flew into San Diego, hung out at the airport a bit waiting for everyone to get in, Tims rigs pulled up, bikes already loaded, oh yeah, you ship your bike to him, or if your local just drop it off, or in my case the bike was at Precision Concepts and he arranged to pick up my bike and load it up. In any case we all met at San Diego airport, everyone piled in, and over the border we went. It was cool. He made a custom rack for all of our spare wheels. The set up was simple but pro. We hit a killer taco shack in Tecate, and off to the desert we went for a bit of a shakedown and then to Mexicali for two nights awaiting the start.

The day before the race Tim had a white board on the trailer set up to tell you what was what. For a noob like me that was cool, and reassuring. For the next for days he had us covered. You rode all day, a rig would be there at the end of the special stage, you say hi to the boys, maybe grab a drink, and off to the next special. When we arrived at the hotel Tim or Dean would be there with room keys for you and you're all set.

Whats included? Airport pickup, receiving your bike, hotels, support all the way down, a ride for your bike back to San Diego so you can hop a plane in Cabo and rock the adventure of a lifetime with only a week off of work.

What's not included? It's not a search and rescue deal. If you break down on the course they will do their best, but its on you to do your best to get yourself and your machine to the highway so you are easy to reach. I was nervous about this last year. There was no need to be. I've ridden Baja 7-10 days a year for the last 6 years, I know the area pretty well, but I had never raced. I couldn't believe how much help and support that there was along the way. For a noob reading this, you're not alone out there, and I think that the race is a lot safer than the trail riding I do down there due to the support.

What's it cost? With the group we have now $1850. This includes all of the above. If more guys go the price will go down a bit. I think he will also adjust down a skosh for someone that does not want maintenance help. For anyone coming from back east it'll save ya a fortune. I was freaking on the cost of a truck last year. From Chicago roundtrip to Cabo is 6000 miles, that's a $2500 fuel expense alone in my Dodge, and that's just the gas! In addition to an extra week off work, having to deal with border traffic, military checkpoints, what if the truck breaks down, I could go on all day...... We're fortunate that Tim does this, without it the race wouldn't be doable for my group at least. But the biggest thing is that allowed me to focus on the ride and know that I just needed to make it to the truck or hotel.

Another observation. From the time we started riding in the am until the last man came in Tim has a wrinkle in his forehead and is a little edgy. This is a sharp contrast to his normal sarcastic, goofball demeanor. I wasn't sure what to make of this at first. On the third day I was in the truck with him joking around about something and he wasn't taking the bait. At that point I realized that he's seriously concerned for the welfare of his crew and there's no fucking around when his riders are on course. Once everyone is accounted for the wrinkle disappears. Tim will probably give me a hard time for saying that, but its worth noting from my perspective as having someone that cares and knows what to do if the shit hits the fan is priceless.

Tims email is info@bajaboundmoto.com

If anyone has any questions for me please email johnny@motoworkschicago.com - I rarely look at the adv private messages.

If Matt, Beto, Scott, Kelly, Nate, Mike, Vanscourt, or anyone that has done this support deal in the past would like to chime in and fill in the gaps that I left in terms of the experience or details that would be cool.

And as far as the rally, I know for the hardcore rally guys its "rally lite" - But for me at my level it was AWESOME, the adventure of a lifetime, a one way march of metal down the peninsula, the roadbook was super cool, that was a first for me. And I was pretty torn down by the end of the deal. Long days and early mornings.

Anyone else register for the Rally yet?
Johnnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote