View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 05:30 AM   #42
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
Good post Ned, could not have said it better myself however with reference to the above comment, let me share my story......

Special Stage emptying......After spending about an hour mid stage one day, battling through quad and moto dust, I finally made it past the hold up only to realise I was desperate for a number one! I tried to hold it off but it began to hurt to the point I was loosing concentration, that coupled with the fact I still had about 100km to go before fuel I decided I needed to go. Letting the other competitiors back past again and being stuck in their dust was not an option so.....and I did think about this long and hard.......I basically pissed myself!

Now, this wasn't easy, I discovered that I could not break the seal while I was 'on-it', it just would not go, so I had to ease eout of the gas on a straight and concentrate really hard to get her going. Once she was flowing I was able to get back on the gas and empty out at the same time. It was a major bonus!

Initially it was warm but then as it hit the air and began to evapourate I got some serious cooling benefits! The worst part was when the trickes reached my boots and I knew it would be there for some time :-(

Happy days.....happy memories

Dad was informed to power-wash the gear that night due to inforeseen circumstances

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Exactly. Come in late, you miss nutrition, hydration, maintenance, roadbook quality time, etc. You get less sleep, you get less to eat, and you leave when you'll be in more dust, on a more torn up track, and get caught by the cars sooner.

Toby Younger is my hero- he made that race as hard as it could be made and still grinned every time I saw him.

The easiest Dakars are for the guys like me that rode fast-ish but not actually fast. The guys at the front have the wear and tear of wanting it every foot and holding it wide all the time. The guys in back never get a break.

While I'm holding forth on my favorite subject in the world, a few notes on pace. IMO, the most dangerous riders in Dakar are the 10th-35th place guys, who all think they should be up front, and take chances to try to get there. The guys who actually are up front belong there, and the guys in ~40th-100th have most of the skills but probably a little more self-control. Some of the 100th and back guys are going to suffer amazingly and persevere regardless, and to me, that's a very beautiful thing too.

The top riders are on the same pace all over the world. Kurt was fast here, he was fast in Dakar. Same with Jonah, Quinn, Chris B, etc. The middle of the pack is more varied. There are guys with amazing skills (Chris Birch comes to mind) who struggle a little with the raw speed of the event, and guys with somewhat more mediocre skills who thrive on it- so you wind up with a crazy mixture of folks riding near each other, some of whom thrive when it gets nasty, some of whom thrive when it gets straight and pinned, but who nevertheless finish near each other on net time.

My eyes are on Mike Johnson. He's a super nice guy, legitimately fast, I think he had a bad day yesterday but I don't think they'll all be bad for him, he's got the pace to run quite a bit further forward.