View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #4287
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
RIdin Gaijin,

Bummer about the stripped valve cover bolt. I'll do some research to see what the options are and get back to you.
Hey no problem man. It's what we noticed when we were checking the valves...looks like that cover doesn't reseal as we thought it would. Maybe the checking made it worse?

I've been doing some homework trying to figure out how this would work too. Do you think this could be solved at Rex? If not, I'm thinking a call to Crossroads. At this point I don't want to ride alla way out to George's with it continually wetting itself and me (the big baby).

For those playing from home...the inside of the cylinder is stripped almost smooth where one of those four long cylinder head cover bolts is supposed to secure it. HBN's initial thought was to get an insert of some kind in there; the threads on the bolt itself look fine.

This bolt...

...is no longer screwing into this hole:

Open to suggestions!
'96 R1100GS, the Black Beast. Most recently: 6000 miles thru US + CA. (past) 09 XCountry; 05 Tiger, sold after 32 dual sporting US states; and about a dozen on & off road Japanese bikes, all good in their own way, ridden in the US & Japan. "You just have to ride the bike and not worry." - Hank (with half a million miles on his 95 GS)
ridin gaijin is online now   Reply With Quote