View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #32
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
seems most harley riders i see on the road have on a leather jacket of some sort, boots of one sort or another, gloves, and denim pants. is that not "gear" enough?
There is a difference between "gear" and safety equipment. Their leather jackets have no impact protection. Their boots may be the only piece of safety equipment worn, if heavy and protective. The gloves are usually fingerless, light leather offering no protection. Standard denim likewise offers no protection, and is usually the most misunderstood item of motorcycle clothing of all. Statistics say that you are more likely to suffer lower extremity injuries than any other in the event of a crash, yet even experienced and "safety conscious" riders still think denim is some magic force field.

All this being said, I don't want to be deemed a "safety geek". Wear what you think is appropriate. That's what our freedoms are all about. The inevitable application of Darwinian Theory will eventually take care of the rest.
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote