Old 01-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #65
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Shane Diener lost a lot of time, dropping from 25th to 54th at the finish of todays stage, any word on the reason?
He stopped to help Chavo who went down hard avoiding a Yamaha rider who was down just behind a blind jump. Chavo caked the front end and Shane, Paolo Ceci, and Claudio Rodrigues stopped to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
That is hectic! I thought he had just taken a tumble on his own.
Just got a few texts from him. He didn't know who it was but he said a "Yamaha guy. I think from Olivier Pain's team". Came up on him fast after the blind jump and he...

...oh how it pain's me to say...

...had to put her down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
To keep on blabbering statistics, the only Brits (well, not counting Grabbie, our old Tommy!) to achieve a top ten stage result since Deacon in 98 are Sam.....and Pyndon last year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Hope this is not 205 I'm having a concentration moment.

From wilddogs

Riaan van Niekerk arrives at San Rafael

(wotz with the brown paper bag - skelm Klippies? ) {skelm Klippies is naughty, hidden, cheap brandy}

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
Barreda, yesterday:

"I liked this first stage. I know this is not important for the overall. Moreover, I am not sure I'll have some benefit to have won, because tomorrow I will be opening the track and thus I'll be in disadvantaged. I knew that if I won, tomorrow I would be the first, on the first day with dunes . But I also knew I wanted to win. I've come to realize as the sun rose. I wanted to win. And I have concentrated much on victory in the final kilometers. I did it for Honda. For Yamazaki , the leader of the project, with all the pressure on him. And even knowing the size of the enterprise he has relied on me instead of taking the easy choice: sign a renowned pilot . Tomorrow I have to change the chip. But I have a clear conscience because we won a stage !
I have seen my rivals very strong. I did not think Marc and Cyril would attack as they have today. They can say whatever they want , but seeing them made skids and pulling the throttle like they did, clearly they were going full speed."
(...)

Me ha gustado mucho esta primera etapa. Sé que este no es un día importante para la general. Además, ni siquiera tengo claro si le saco algún beneficio a haber ganado el primer día, porque mañana me tocará abrir pista y, así, parto con desventaja. Aunque lo sabía. Sabía que si ganaba mañana sería el primero en salir, en la primera jornada en que aparecen dunas. Pero tambien sabía que quería ganar. Me he ido dando cuenta a medida que salía el sol. Quería ganar. Y me he concentrado mucho en lograr la victoria en los últimos kilómetros. Lo he hecho por Honda. Por el japonés Yamazaki, el líder del proyecto, por toda la presión que tiene encima. Y aún sabiendo la magnitud de la empresa ha confiado en mí en lugar de tomar la decisión más fácil: fichar a un piloto de renombre. Mañana tengo que cambiar el chip. Pero me queda la conciencia tranquila porque sé que eso ya está ahí: ¡ya tenemos una etapa!
A mis rivales los he visto muy fuertes. No pensaba que el primer día Marc y Cyril atacarían como lo han hecho y hoy han salido a por todas. Ellos pueden decir lo que quieran, pero viendo las derrapadas que hacían y el gas que daban está claro que iban a muerte.

http://blogs.elpais.com/dakar/2014/0...una-etapa.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDennehy View Post
Daily Blog from CB2: Day 2

So DR (David Reeve) is back in the Bivvy safe and sound, coming in about 20mins ago. He is knackered having had a hard day in the saddle.

The 1st stages of the day were a liaison along a tar road out to the “Special.” The liaison was very long. We were passed by plenty of riders on their way out to the liaison and already it was noticeable the levels of fatigue this race is going to put these guys to. Some were sitting on one bum cheek, others hanging their le...gs off foot pegs, some weaving on the road a little. It’s only the 2nd day in and already it’s very hard work.

The special or “racing stage” was no exception. The 1st part of this was a flat out slog on a gravel road. DR managed to get past the quads who kick up dust on a wide section of gravel so no dangerous manoeuvres required to keep up. He said his throttle was pinned wide open through this section. Then came the dunes. 100 kms of them. The sand was soft and hard work. The dunes were tall so if you didn’t manage to get up in one attempt you had to come all the way down and start again. Energy sapping stuff.

He knows the Rekluse would have made the day easier for him, but it’s too late to dwell on that now. We may get Scott to replace the Rekluse back into the bike for Chile next week as there is plenty of dunes there. The rest of the stages in Argentina do not contain much in the way of sand.

So he’s just had a nice cool RV shower and is having a short rest now. Its 16:00 hrs Argentina time. We will make sure he has lots of food tonight. The food in the Bivvy is very good.

I will know tomorrows start times etc later.

The bike is getting some TLC right now from Scott and Jaime. DR has a Marathon stage for the next 2 days which means we don’t see him for 2 days. This makes the TLC the bike is getting now even more important as it has to last 2 days without FRR’s Technicians touching it.

Riaan (van Niekerk) spoke to Gilly earlier after his return. He had a difficult day as well.