Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Miran Stanovnik receiving outside illegal assistance. That's the spirit!

Quote:
Chaleco:

"It started very complicated this route because I fell in a river and the bike was sideways in the water. I managed to lift it, I got the injection wet , but the engine didn't stopped. After about three minutes I regained the power of the machine and could go on "

http://deportes.terra.cl/automovilis...ceb0aRCRD.html
“Empecé muy complicado esta ruta porque me caí en un río y la moto quedó de lado en el agua. La logré levantar, se me mojó la inyección y pasé susto, pero no se paró el motor. Tras unos tres minutos recuperé la potencia de la máquina y puede seguir en competencia”

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
PlanetRobby retweeted a photo of him being towed but I can't tell if it's from today or yesterday.
Quote of the day?

Quote:
Cyril Despres - Yamaha Factory Racing
“I arrived a little too quickly on a note in the road book at around kilometre 250 and went over the handlebars. Fortunately it was a soft landing so the bike wasn’t damaged but it took me a while to dust myself down and get going again and inevitably I lost time. Overall a day to forget.”

Olivier Pain - Yamaha Factory Racing
“The stage started off really fast and finished that way too, but in between there was a nice section of dunes, a little like Le Touquet, which was really fun to ride. I got a little stuck in the dust early on but made up some time in the sand and as a result moved up a little in the overall rankings. Now I’m approaching the top 10 and am well placed on the eve of the first marathon stage.”

Frans Verhoeven - Yamaha Netherlands Verhoeven
“Mainly fast today with some dunes and a few river beds, quite technical in places. Like Olivier I got a little stuck in other peoples dust but that’s part of the race. In the past I might have got overexcited in that kind of situation and tried to overtake in an inappropriate place but now I’m older but wiser. My intention here isn’t to take chances and put in a good time one day only to lose it the next. This year my strategy is to build my race slowly but surely and see where that leaves me at the final finish.”

Michael Metge - Yamaha Factory Racing
“It was an OK day until I got into the bivouac and discovered that the officials had given me a 41 minute penalty for supposedly arriving late at the bivouac yesterday evening – something I don’t understand at all as I came in at the same time as Cyril. Currently the organisers are looking at my GPS to check when I actually arrived and hopefully all that should be cleared up this evening. It kind of took the fun out the day…”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post

Gotta love the South Americans. Its a collective solution that is not really a solution you want, but their over eagerness to get involved makes you loathe to interrupt them even though more than likely they will screw it up.

Anyway a few sample pics from Dakar.com, go check it out!

Quote:
dakar com

Speed, fuel, caps, struggles and Brett Cummings

The first part of the day yesterday offered a session of speed that Brett Cummings especially appreciated, riding his KTM at around 155 kmph along the tracks around San Luis. However, his fuel cap was much more ill at ease: “I think among all the thrills and spills it must have been blown off,” explains the South African rider. By finishing 43rd on his first Dakar last year, Brett Cummings was aiming for the Top 20 this year. However, withdrawals of sponsors opened another horizon to him, that of the rider without assistance. “It's due to economic constraints but it's also a choice that is in keeping with the origins of the Dakar”. As for the trials and tribulations that make the lesser and greater legends of the Dakar, between San Luis and San Raphael, Cummings had more than his fair share. He had to ride with just one fuel tank due to the sand that was getting into the other and then use the spectators as an improvised assistance team to obtain the petrol required to finish the last 25 kilometres of the stage. “It was tough, because I can only speak English,” he explains, alone, under the scorching sun,as is often the fate of the lone biking ranger. “I must have lost 30 minutes and I was overtaken by the quads that I had passed. Now I'm trying to find a fuel cap. That's the Dakar: it's an endless struggle”.