View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #11
PhillipsMetal OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
June 3, 2013

Day 4 – I was happy to awaken alive at the strange hotel and did not sleep very well. It was a little disturbing sleeping in an abandoned hotel /motel and when I checked in there was a fellow lurking around behind the clerk who kept eye balling me. Just a strange vibe but I still felt safer there than I would have riding in the dark.

After I managed to turn the simple task of replacing a headlight bulb into an hour long ordeal, it was a really nice day. The ride to Creel was more wide open desert with some hilly parts.

Once I turned off of MX 16 at La Junta, the scenery took on more of a mountainous look with pine trees lining the hilly roads. Lots of smooth curves and some neat little towns on the way.

We were working on a job back in Alabama and a fellow from Mexico was setting some handrails and I noticed he was dipping the concrete with his bare hands. I was amazed that it wasn't destroying his hands, but he told me he roofed houses in Mexico with concrete and this job was a walk in the park.

I ended up climbing to 8,000 feet a couple of times and ended up in Creel which is close to 8,000 feet of elevation. The temperature ranged from the high 70’s to the mid 80’s most of the ride.
Creel turned out to be a fun little town with a bustling city central and town square. The center street is lined with small shops for 8 or 10 blocks and the sidewalks are filled with kids playing, dogs lying around and folks coming and going. It was a real enjoyable afternoon just hanging out.

I checked into Hotel Villa Mexicana which was a collection of cool little cabins just south of the square. The weather here is incredible. At 4 o’clock its 85 degrees. I slept with the door and the windows open until about 2 a.m. when I got cold and had to close them.

After yesterdays supper of chicken tacos at the truck stop I was ready for a real meal and the La Cabana did not disappoint. I started with some garlic mushrooms and worked my way up to some kind of chicken florentine stuffed with spinach over pasta. Everything was delicious!

I talked with the guy from The 3 Amigos (he loaded me up with so much information that I forgot his name…) and he told me of the road conditions and some alternate routes. Very nice and knowledgeable guy. His company runs tours through the canyon and I thought hard about just letting one of his guys drive me on one of the 4 wheelers – lol. Seriously, his tours look real interesting for those going to the canyon that don’t want to ride in – www.Amigos3.com