View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #75
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
Dakar.com photos posted to facebook from stage 2.

#4 - JORDI VILADOMS (ESP) [KTM]

#2 - MARC COMA (ESP) [KTM]

#22 - ALAIN DUCLOS (FRA) [SHERCO]

#5 - FRANCISCO LOPEZ CONTARDO (CHL) [KTM]

#17 - MICHAEL METGE (FRA) [YAMAHA]

#6 - OLIVIER PAIN (FRA) [YAMAHA]

#3 - JOAN BARREDA BORT (ESP) [HONDA]

a few more in the Dakar 2014 Photo F5rehose if you're interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Ammendolia View Post
Overall a day to forget."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
So tomorrow: Stage 3 Bikes route is different. Marathon Stage. (Thanks again, Uller for the images)

Let me tell you riding at 4,000m + is no joke! Most people will start to feel dizzy if they stop. A thing as simple as picking up your bike become a major major task. I'm sure they will shutoff CP2 early to be sure.

I get the feeling there will be some single track and some steep hill climbs after CP2. It will also be the 1st ever that the Dakar does off piste navigation at over 4,000m. You could get into a world of trouble if you go the wrong way up there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Bivouac is here:
31°33'5.38"S 68°41'30.05"W

View Larger Map
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Paul Jay

Got back to the bivee safe, bikes looking a bit 2nd hand and so's the rider. That was the hardest thing I've ever done!!

------------

He is currently in 134th place

From Today:
99HONDA
14:59:0608:49:2502:00:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Here are all the routes the assistance crews take from one bivouac to another:

Crew Routes in Google Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Hogwild is correct. That is the bivouac of for the trucks and cars though.

Here is the liaison route (north is left, east is up)

Another view a bit closer (with north up)

Hogwilds view is zoomed right in.

But the bikes...where will they be camping? I reckon they will be here to the west of San Juan

I did not have time to draw the special, but I'm pretty sure these are photos of parts of it (going up into the mountains towards Chile before veering back again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Breauxman View Post
I've just got off the phone with Peter Hardy #167 (one of my best friends) who, like usual, was as positive as ever, after getting the worst luck possible.

Near the end of the heavy dune section his fanny pack rubbed on the rear end of the seat and somehow dislodged the rear fuel vent tube and petrol leaked out onto a hot tailpipe. The bike caught fire and he extinguished the flames with sand. (for those who don't know, Pedro fights wild fires for a living) There was mayhem all around on the stage with broken quads and injuries.

"I wasn't going to push the (panic) button this early in the stage. The bike wouldn't run and there was sand in the carb." He made the decision to put the bike on a non entered service truck and got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. He wanted to get closer to the end of the special so as to find assistance from another participant instead of spending the night in the dunes without food.

"The helo landed and they asked what the bike was doing in the back of the truck..."

"I didn't lie, I told em 'the bike caught on fire' and things went downhill from there." They picked him up and flew around scooping riders off the special and landed him at the bivy.

"Shit happens but I just didn't want it to happen to me"

The first thing Pedro did was call Elizabeth: "Wife said, you're a winner in my book and you'll do better next time."
(Which means Pedro will be back...)

"I was pretty close to the end of the special after the dunes. Tunisia was way harder than the dunes today, so it (Tunisia) was good training for me."

"I didn't even lay the bike down in 2 days."

Interestingly and fondly, you have to love this guy for the next quote as he described the chaos of the day and how tempers were flying in the bivy and people were downright having a shitty time...

"You gotta be happy all the time. Thats why were here"

"I could be wrapped in a skin graph..."

Pedro is out of the DAKAR and his fate is unclear, he's a veteran to the bivouac and may decide to stick it out with his current team (Freedom) or possibly join another crew. Whatever the case, I just ask the F5 community to spill some bear or wine for this gentle giant and lets learn from this guy...His 2.5 years of prep went down the tubes over something totally out of his control yet he still keeps a positive attitude and found a way to look on the bright side:

"You gotta be happy all the time. Thats why were here"

If you don't know him yet, please learn his story here