View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #102
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
Just a comment from the peanut gallery here but maybe I know something from experience and being a scholar at this game of rally.

Joan Barreda has done the work and now the rally is his to lose. All he has to do is follow. And unless Despres and Coma team up to play a game with him, it would be difficult for either of those guys to ride 10-minutes faster then Barreda if he is keying off their navigation. He just has to follow and check and keep his bike running for the rest of the rally. So Simple! Right!!!

So many young guys get into this position ( I threw away a Nevada Rally lead of 8 minutes, idiot move!) because they forget to slow down. I hope he has good people around him to coach him. I know the Speedbrain team has some experienced guys there. He has taken the risk, now it is the others turn.

When Roma was on the bikes he was famous for getting the lead then trying to manage it, but having a difficult time most of the time.

Peterhansel owned this technique and it showed in the results.

The best part of all of this is if he does follow guys like Cyril, especially Cyril, watch them complain. But if you are a good navigator, you can play games and turn the tables. This rally, at this stage, is now down to navigation for everyone but Joan Barreda.

Good times, love to see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post

Mallemotoman
second in the G2 class 2 and first in malle moto and 27 overall
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/us/s...kes.html#ancre

Dutch Robert Van Pelt Honda etapa del Dakar 2014.
Dakar 2014 - 3ª Etapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Kocanda View Post
I just got information what happened to our friend Jan Vesely (private rider from Liberec, Czech Rep.).
He had almost no problems today. Tried to speed up after delays from yesterday, where he spent more time helping people then allows regulations. He was doing better on CP1 and arrived on the top of the highest hill in the special. There was "an organiser" as he call authorities from ASO and was showing racers direction. On the top of the hill appeared in GPS arrow to the finish - 8km. Direction of the arrow was matching what the person was showing. Angle from roadbook was matching and there were many tracks leading down that way. So he descent and with him about 5 other riders. In the walley was Ruben Faria´s motorcycle wreck also. The walley changed to a narrow canyon between 15m high rocks with just 1m distance between. Impossible to continue - dead end. In time when they rescued them by helikopter, there was at least 20 bikes. BTW, they spotted Patronelli´s crash there also. All this shit happened on one place.
He is now in marathon bivouac. Bikes will rescue tomorrow by helikopter. It´s end for all of them. In the bivouac is nobody from ORG, no jury no chance to do anything. Simply end of the race for them. Jan´s bike is untouched, perfect shape, he is in good shape as well - just cannot race anymore.

Regards to F5 team from him specifically (he wrote - regards to people from Adventure Rider who follow me and followed me in past years). Maybe you remember this shot, what he shooted for you:

This one is from 2012:

The following is a VERY GOOD summary of Stage 3: Go to the link.

Ktm Feedback
Yamaha feedback
Honda Feedback
Speed brain feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar Dan View Post
Strange remote-spectating another event in the Southern hemisphere, where it is also summer but about 16 hours behind us time-wise. Anyways, here's a link to some updated news, especially for the Aussies:
http://www.mcnews.com.au/dakar-2014-...-extends-lead/

Joan Barreda set a new record today. He became the first Dakar rider to reach an altitude of 4,300 metres on a special stage. This unofficial honour gave him an unbeatable preview of the spectacular landscapes on offer at this height in the Andes Mountain range. Although a keen geographer, it is most certainly the sporting performance he accomplished today that will satisfy the Spanish Rider. Impressive throughout the 243 km of a special stage slightly shortened in order to avoid unstable terrain on the first part of the route, “Bang Bang” again made a big impact, picking up his second stage victory this year after having opened the way for the majority of the day. With a lead of 4’41’’ over Cyril Despres on arrival at the bivouac which marks the mid-way point in the marathon stage, Barreda opened a gap of 13’04 over the title holder. The Frenchman can consider himself to have enjoyed a good stage: 8th in the general standings this morning, he is now the closest pursuer of the race leader. This tough stage has thus revealed the best technicians in the discipline. The day’s leading trio, like the podium in the general standings, was completed by Spaniard Marc Coma, who is 52” behind Despres.

Behind them, Alain Duclos and Chaleco Lopez are still in with a shout, less than 20 minutes behind, but there will already be plenty of disillusioned riders, even before they tackle the evening on their own without assistance. The dream is over for Ruben Faria, who has dropped out of the Dakar after a fall, as well as for Frans Verhoeven, who injured his shoulder. Still stuck 30 km from the finishing line almost two hours after the leaders finished, Portugal’s Paulo Gonçalves lost all hope of final victory and the highest step on the podium will be also inaccessible for Sam Sunderland and Juan Pedrero, who have still not yet finished at the time of writing. David Casteu can still hope for a place of honour, 22’ behind the race leader, as can Olivier Pain, who lies 36’ behind. It will however be very difficult for Helder Rodrigues, relegated to more than an hour of his team-mate Joan Barreda after just 3 stages!

The route to the isolated bivouac in Barréal also proved to be cruel in the quad category, which lost its emblematic champion. Marcos Patronelli was forced to drop out after suffering from dehydration. The hopes for the title have also evaporated for Lucas Bonetto, who was still stuck 100 km from the finishing line at the end of the afternoon. Rafal Sonik has benefitted from their misfortunes, inheriting both the stage win and the lead in the general standings.

Joan “Bang Bang” Barreda: “Today was really unbelievable, the conditions were extreme by any means. After the stage started, I could soon pass Chaleco Lopez to follow Sam Sunderland in the riverbeds until he took a wrong turn. Opening the track, the uphill sections got more and more steep and extreme. In trial-type conditions I had to stay full-throttle in second gear to make the steepest sections and keep it all together to make it over the loose rolling stones. It was very exhausting in the high altitude and I needed to stay very calm to avoid mistakes. As I was over the highest point, the navigation downhill was getting very delicate, with many changes of directions and possibly wrong ways to follow on very steep trails. I stopped and made sure I was choosing the right way several times. Eventually it paid out to keep a cool head. The last part down in the valley was more easy and I put the hammer down again. I think today many riders will have extreme difficulties. I am happy I improved a lot my physical conditions training hard the last year.”

Much more of the drama here http://www.mcnews.com.au/dakar-2014-...-extends-lead/