View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
sellmeyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Rawhyde

You might want to call Jim out in SoCal and see if he would be interested in taking you on for a contract or two. If you have good bike skills and can teach noobs, then you would be an ideal candidate for his program.

He does domestic and international bike tours which are either mostly self-guided or fully guided. All of his tours are fully supported by a rotating staff depending on season and location. You could plug in to support those programs.

Please realize that a full paramedic skill set may be of little use compared to a WEMT or WFR in this context. If you are already an EMT with experience in an urban context, you would likely be just as valuable with a wilderness endorsement from an outfit like Wilderness Medicine Institute of NOLS than you would be as a new paramedic. A WEMT isn't all that different from a WFR, except that with a program like Jim's you are more likely to interface with URBAN EMS and having the EMT background would likely be the practical experience that would allow you to communicate well with those folks. Some WFRs don't have any substantial time on the radio coordinating pickups and transfer of care. An EMT does and that would matter to me if I were Jim.

Just remember that your skills can't be utilized by any organization without having a medical director (MD). I'm not sure Jim would find a medical director willing to sign off on a paramedic skill set in a wilderness context...you also won't travel with much gear on a bike so when you are first on scene you likely will be acting as a BLS responder with a simple trauma kit. A solid WFR in this context is just as good as an EMT-P. These are just some things to think about.

good luck.

BTW, this past fall Jim sent out an all-call for employee candidates...he may still be looking.

sellmeyer screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 05:17 PM
sellmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote