View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #101
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Don't disagree.

We here on ADV are exceptional riders and never make mistakes so I'm obviously preaching to the choir but most motorcycle accidents are rider error.

Does wearing more gear lead to increased risk taking?

Most here would probably say "no, not for me". I think otherwise.

Would you run through the nicest series of twisties at the same pace if in shorts, no helmet, and no gloves as you would fully geared? Of course this question really only applies to those that have ridden on occasion without all the gear......if you've never ridden without gear you really can't honeslty answer the question. My guess is without gear we would ride a little slower, wouldn't push the corners quite so hard, would leave a little more space between the cars in front, and slow a little more when appraoching an intersection or blind curve.

If you can honestly answer your riding would not change then you are an incredibly disciplined rider and my hats off to you.

Just something to think about, agree or disagree, no worries.
Yes, I have ridden with no gear. Yes, I would ride differently without it, but saying that makes you safer, requiring less gear is a red herring argument. You may be less likely to have an accident, but its more likely your injuries will be more severe

My last get-off about 10 years ago was a freak low speed high side on a straight.section of road where antifreeze had been spilled on a fresh tar strip while riding a V-Star 650 classic. Besides the ff helmet, I was only wearing work gloves, hiking boots, and an insulated rain suit over work clothes.
I landed head first and was knocked unconscious, being low speed I didn't slide, so no roadrash or other injuries.
Judging by the dent and cracks in the shell of my helmet, I have no doubt it would have been a fatal blow to the forehead if I had not been wearing helmet.

It was so unexpected and conditions so benign I can honestly say I wouldn't have done anything differently if I hadn't been wearing any gear.

IMO, the only honest justification for wearing no gear is you accept the increased risk of injury in a crash.